Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Time for Smeared and Smudged's April Member Hop!

April Member Blog Hop

Leigh
Nan
Leslie Rahye
 Susan R.
Jane
Kristy
Ike




Welcome to the Smeared Ink April Member Hop!  Our mission to decorate an egg...yep, a real egg!  This one has had me stumped for weeks.  But as I was gathering materials I was thinking about my project due over at Quoth the Raven which is pick 3 elements from a tic tac toe board.  One direction was decoupage/3D, lace, and Poe.  I immediately thought of a wonderful Poe with Candle image by the fabulous Ike's Art.  So I shrunk him down, colored him up with Prismacolor colored pencils, fussy cut ( cutting out his tie), and covered with Diamond Accents.  I cut his arm with the hand holding the candle out separately and covered with Diamond Accents also. I had made the mistake of heating Diamond Accents before and got this neat kinda weird effect (I do not recommend using any product in any way other than it's stated uses!!  I told you so don't forget!!) and liked it so I tried it again. And I also gave dear Poe a small gem for his coat, I think he deserves it!  Now the egg was also a mistake that kind of evolved.  I colored my egg with a red Promarker thinking I would decoupage Poe on the egg and I wanted the red to contrast with the dark image.  Then I also wanted to take a small piece of lace and make his tie and glue into the opening I had cut out.  So that idea didn't seem wise. Next idea cover the egg with black and white designer paper, in other words decoupage the egg with the papers.  One thought on this technique:  it is much harder than I ever imagined to be and don't color the egg red first and not seal it!  The red leaked through as you have guessed.  But already too far into the idea and late as usual to start I had to trod on down that path.  So my egg is slightly odd shaped in places but then I am slightly odd so fair is fair:)  After allowing everything to dry, I attached Poe on the front of the egg and fixed his arm so it would appear to come right out at you.  I am hoping this even follows the mission to decorate an egg; I did decorate an egg!  I look forward to hopping along and seeing the lovelies listed above and see how their egg-speriments turned out!  I know it was lame....But please visit them and leave them some lovely comments to match their lovely projects!
Happy Crafting

16 comments:

  1. That is really cool and so clever. I like how the bit of red has seeped though and the POE 3D is awesome :-D xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nan,
    I like your egg holder, it looks like an antique glass piece. Love that Poe's arm is coming out at me :) Even with all of your issues w/ this egg it still came out great. I like it, and w/ Poe, you cant go wrong LOL!
    Peace,
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristy...just now realized who you are! and the egg holder is a clear glass cheapie one but I had started painting my egg lime green to use a grouchy on and set it in there and when I cleaned it out it left a lovely tint of green that appeared differently in the photo.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. It's Poe..it's an egg...it's awesome...I love the 3dimensionality of poe and the script on the egg. Very cool! I think you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leslie! I always feel so beginner after seeing all the fab makes!

      Delete
  4. This is awesome Nan! I love this Poe image and he looks great adorning your egg. I chickened out (excuse the pun!) from this hop as I had a total mind blank as to what to do.....I have been truly inspired by you and everybody else today....who knew what the humble egg could become!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teresa! I am in a mojo slump so deep I can't see the top! Just making kind of like sleep walking but maybe it will come back one year!

      Delete
  5. You nailed it Nan!!! Decorate an egg...check, push out of your comfort zone...check, get your fingers inky and messy...check, think outside the box....check! I love everything, it does look like an antique piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leigh! I just told Teresa my mojo has checked out for the time being and shows no signs of returning! But I appreciate your kind words!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment:)

      Delete
  7. FAbulous Nan, this is sooo creative! Sounds like a lot of serendipity ending up in one totally amazing project! xxD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna! It was a trip that is for sure!! hugs~Nan

      Delete